As the Election Season Draws Closer, Can Trump Maintain His Hold On the Presidency?

Amadi Hays-Latimore, Sports Editor

Due to the massive amounts of scandals and generally poor and harmful decisions President Donald Trump has made, there has been a serious discussion about impeachment. The Senate Democrats are looking to start an impeachment trial around Thanksgiving time.

There have been many warnings that Trump is unfit to be our president. The most recent of these is the Whistleblower Complaint. This is in reference to Trump calling Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in an attempt to use him to investigate his political rival, Joe Biden.

Trump has had problems with using foreign powers in his campaigns before, with the Russia scandal. One would think that this would deter him from trying to use Ukraine but for some reason, it didn’t. 

In an interview with Elisabeth Lie, a foreign exchange student from Sweden, she talked about how incompetent she viewed Trump and stated, “I’m amazed that he was ever elected as president.” She did not think that he should be elected again in the 2020 election and said that it would be better for him to be impeached so that he couldn’t do any damage to the United States or to other countries. 

Because of recent inactivity by house republicans to stop the impeachment process, President Trump tweeted, “The Never Trumper Republicans, though on respirators with not many left, are in certain ways worse and more dangerous for our Country than the Do Nothing Democrats. Watch out for them, they are human scum!” In response, dozens of republicans interrupted a closed-door deposition of defense department official Laura K. Cooper, delaying the process for four hours and claiming that the Democrats were attempting to create a tainted and one-sided document as the basis for the impeachment trial. 

Trump has been accused of too many scandals to still be viewed as a decent person, and if someone can’t be considered even decent, not a good person, just decent, then how could we possibly accept them as our president. For the whole of his presidential term and even from the prior campaigning season, Trump has been followed by accusations and rumors of indecency. From accusations of rape to bribery to fixing the presidential campaign.