• September 30December 11th-December 15th is Holiday Week

• September 30You can add and edit these breaking news headlines as necessary

3D printing at YC

Back to Article
Back to Article

3D printing at YC

3D printer in Zarfas' room

3D printer in Zarfas' room

3D printer in Zarfas' room

3D printer in Zarfas' room

Gabrielle Chambers, Editor-in-Chief

Technology is constantly evolving, even in our small town. YC has shown devotion to a certain type, in particular, 3D Printing. YC’s new math teacher, Robert Zarfas, and YC’s manufacturing teacher, Trevor DaSilva, have been taking charge of the 3D Printers at our school.

YC’s go to manufacturing teacher is daSilva. He uses the printers in Design and Production, Advanced manufacturing, and essentially all of his classes. The use of the printers is a critical pillar towards his teaching style. He has a total of 20 printers in use for his courses.

These printers are useful outside of the classroom as well. In the past, daSilva has created coasters for wineries with our school’s laser cutter and then created coaster holders with the 3D printer.

Zarfas, our newer computer science teacher,  mainly uses his printers for his innovations class. His collection of printers isn’t as massive as daSilva’s and he jokes that daSilva is the one with the monopoly on them. Currently, he is attempting to get more printers for his classes.

Something both Zarfas and daSilva strongly agree on is the importance of 3D printing. “It’s the future of manufacturing”, daSilva said.

Drew Hinton, a junior at YC, is currently taking Design and Production. “It’s really fun printing off items that actually work, that’s probably my favorite part.” Hinton went into depth on how 3D printing makes it easy to create items you don’t have at the moment. For example, if you don’t have a screw, you can easily print one off that works perfectly.

The style for showing what you learned in Design and Production is different, yet fitting for the course. “[daSilva’s] curriculum doesn’t have tests or worksheets. Instead, he has us do projects to show that we’re proficient”, says Hinton.

Gabrielle Chambers, Editor-in-chief

Currently, I'm a senior at Yamhill Carlton High school. This is my third year as editor-in-chief.  In my free time I enjoy reading and writing. Hiking...

1 Comment

One Response to “3D printing at YC”

1. John Jiler on November 24th, 2018 2:41 pm

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear Editor;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are thinking harder and harder about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’re reaching out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses, but even those who don’t have encouraged or tolerated a state-wide lawless and violent culture. Our mission is to make these states known to high school seniors, whom we encourage NOT to apply to college in:
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, or WYOMING.
    We’ll be following up with letters to college presidents, Governors and legislators of the “Notorious Nineteen.” If they’re curious why their state-wide college applications are down this year, we’ll be happy to tell them!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. This is how the world changes. Good luck throughout senior year…… and beyond!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• 3D printing at YC

Entertainment

YC’s Annual Theatre Showcase

• 3D printing at YC

Feature

Get Out of Town: Shanghai Tunnels

• 3D printing at YC

Feature

A Haunting Tale

• News

Homecoming Assembly 2k18

• 3D printing at YC

Feature

New District Office Communications Specialist

• 3D printing at YC

News

Rushing for Clubs

• 3D printing at YC

News

Oversized classes as a whole lot of… faces

• 3D printing at YC

Feature

Park-Ins to Drive-Ins: the rise and decline of America’s Favorite Pastime

• 3D printing at YC

Feature

Rocketry girls blasting off

• Feature

The YC Journal Newspaper Staff Superlatives

3D printing at YC