Baseball trying to make playoffs under first year coach

Gregory Neuman

Senior night for the YC Tigers baseball team. From left to right: Daniel Miller, Braden Brey, Eldon Long, Mitchell Gaibler, Robert Garner, Jesse Spence

Colby Templeton, Sports Editor

Yamhill Carlton High School’s varsity baseball team is welcoming first year baseball coach Brennan Mossholder, who is also the new first year football coach from the most recent season. The Tigers baseball team is looking to get a better record than last year’s somewhat disappointment of a season winning 10 games and losing 12. This will be difficult under a new coach but the team still stays positive.“One of our goals is to make some sort of playoff game, whether it be a play-in game or a state playoff game.” This is the response coach Mossholder gave when asked about what he wanted his team to accomplish during this season.

After going 2-2 in non-league play, and then just recently ending a four game losing streak with a 7 to 6 win over Stayton, the tigers are looking at a 3-6 record. The tigers will have to win the majority of their remaining ten games, only four being home games, if they want to make strides towards the state playoffs. The first year head coach, Coach Mossholder, was asked what teams he thought would give his team the most difficulty he said,

“As my first year in the league I haven’t seen many teams. I know traditionally Cascade has been very good, and North Marion is a very well coached team generally, and i think Newport or Philomath is leading our league right now.”

The tigers have faced both teams twice so far this year and has lost all four games, this was the four game losing streak previously mentioned.

YC’s baseball team is looking at a pretty steep uphill battle to get to the playoffs. If anyone could do it it could be the underdog Tigers. At moments there have been flashes of brilliance by the tigers. The first couple times this team showed potential was when Daniel Miller hit a home-run the first two times playing league opponent North Marion. Seniors Mitchell Gaibler, Daniel Miller, and Eldon Long are some of the unspoken leaders of this years team. In The team as a whole only has six seniors on it so it will be a fairly difficult road to the playoffs.