Coffee In America

Chase Schrepel, Staff Writer

Coffee is a big part of the lives of many, however is coffee really good for you? The website Mayo Clinic, says yes!

The Mayo Clinic website states, “Studies have shown that coffee may have health benefits, including protecting against Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes and liver disease, including liver cancer.”  Mayo Clinic is a non profit organization founded to researching, studying, and practicing medical treatment.

However, does this necessarily mean coffee should be consumed?  

Over 50% of the U.S population over 18 consumes coffee beverages which continually increases as coffee has started coming in different forms such as yogurt, and smoothies. 

In Yamhill Carlton High School, the trend is slowly becoming more prominent. A poll that had various questions related to coffee shows that out of 53 students surveyed, 47% said they drank coffee which is roughly 25 students. 

When asked if students prefer taste out of the 53 students, 52% said taste, that is roughly 28 students who prefer taste over the 47% who said they prefer the caffeine in coffee. These results show us that there are already a large number of students in the school who do drink coffee, even if there are some who do not drink coffee beverages. 

Coffee has roughly 212 milligrams of caffeine in 100 grams of coffee grounds. To put it into perspective, one cup of coffee is around 95 Milligrams of caffeine. One downside to coffee is that while it can be very healthy for you in limited amounts and black without added sugars, it lacks the nutrients that fruit juices, or even milk has. 

Currently compared to other years, in 2019 coffee is very expensive, “an American spends on average $1,092 a year on coffee,” according to Fox News.  That’s around $20 a week. That is also close to the price of the newest iPhone. Young people generally spend more on coffee than older people.

Coffee can come in many shapes and sizes, some including Frappes, Lattes, Cappuccinos, and many other flavored drinks. One cup of black coffee has roughly only one calorie in it. However not everyone drinks coffee black, sweetened drinks from a Dutch Bros can go from 200 calories to 300 calories depending on what you order. Sometimes the calorie counts even go up to 400.