It Isn’t a Sport, It’s a Brotherhood~ West Valley Rams Rugby

Alexa Aki, Sports Editor

The West Valley Rams have eight YC students on the team, seniors Luke Sauers, Jacob Barker, Colton Sadorris, Phillip Antonyuk, Kyle Shipley and Mason Dickie and freshmen Hunter Stephenson and Mason Dailey. Coach Trevor daSilva has been helping coach this team for six years. Rugby is a club sport and coach daSilva does not believe that it should be a school sport as school discipline is different. daSilva mentions several times about the culture difference between sports and rugby has a different culture.

Senior Colton Sadorris has been playing for the Valley Rams for two years now and was accepted into the brotherhood of rugby. Coach daSilva speaks a lot about the culture of rugby being different from any other sport, and Sadorris’s perspective was stated as, “is that it is all about each other and it’s about the man next to you and you don’t just play for a championship you play to become men and whether you go 0-8 or you’re undefeated the ultimate goal was not winning so much it becoming men and learning to take care of your responsibilities in life and I think he implement that very good.”

Passion in a sport varies depending on the sport. According to daSilva and Sadorris, rugby athletes show the most passion in athletic. daSilva said, yes he sees more passion come out of his rugby athletes that also play football. daSilva doesn’t like to see it but he does. Sadorris said about his thoughts on rugby being more passionate than any other sport was, “Yes, rugby is probably one of the most passionate sports I’ve ever played and ever seen anyone play. Everyone is not just playing to play or just because it’s fun but they are playing for a purpose. On our team we are asked to make a “why” at the beginning of the season and that is why you play and when it comes down to you going against the 300 lb guy and whether that be going for the state championship or anything, when things get rough you need to think about your why and that why will push you through, so everyone plays with more passion I feel like and with sport like football you play because your friends play but with rugby you play with a reason and they play for their personal why and that’s what pushes you through and makes a great team.”

Senior Mason Dickie as a first-year Valley Ram player describes the sport as the most respectful sport at both the high school level and the professional level. Dickie explains the culture difference between rugby and football as that there is a lot more respect in rugby than there is football. In football, there is a lot of trash talking on the field, off the field and a lot more disrespect towards refs. In rugby, there are always tremendous levels of respect on the field and off the field. At the end of games you eat dinner with the other teams and in football, it is all trash talk.

It isn’t a team, it is a brotherhood.