The Facts on This Year’s Flu Season

Kierah Kavicky, Feature Editor

Flu season brings out the two sides of people, students who want an excuse to not go to school, and people who can’t be sick due to work, or just hate being sick. No matter who, having the flu affects everyone’s life. It’s easy to get caught up in life and not realize that all of the choices that are made throughout the day can affect how sick you can get.

Every year there are flu shots being given out to everybody who asks, and this causes some controversy. The Center for Disease Control(CDC), states, “When more people get vaccinated against the flu, less flu can spread through that community.” Although, through fake articles some people have been lead to believe that the flu shot does not work. The flu vaccine’s effectiveness depends on the person and age.  

January is the peak of flu season according to Nurse Practitioner, Jackie Cooke , and March is the end of it. This year has been worse than her previous years when it comes to the amount of patients that have had to be hospitalized. She stated that it is now too late in the year to get a flu shot, unless the patient is more likely to be sick. The flu shot is made with a dead virus so it is not possible to catch the flu through the shot. Although, the flu shot is not always as effective if you do not get the flu shot regularly.

When it comes to preventing the flu Cooke stated, “Wash. Your. Hands.” She stressed basic sanitation and not touching your face.

Overall washing hands and not sharing drinks is the easiest way to prevent spreading the flu.